Not yet

On Christmas Eve Dan officially decided that we will not be going to Haiti this week. It was a sad and difficult decision to have to make, but God was so good to give us great clarity and show us wisdom. For instance:

The evening of Dec. 23 I received an e-mail from Paula, who was basically my second mom growing up. She said that she was praying for us and forwarded a message sent out by her niece’s husband, who is the head of a mission organization in our town. They have taken a trip to Haiti every year at this time for the last 11 years, and this year… they cancelled. It was really good for us to see that others who also love the people of Haiti and who have much more established connections there were making the tough decision not to go.

Unbeknownst to us, that same day Reach Global, which is the missions arm of our particular church but at the national level, had decided to cancel all of their mission trips to Haiti for the next few weeks. Not only because of the dangers on the ground (which seem to be increasing instead of lessening), but there was the possibility that the chaos might make it impossible for people to get out of the country as the elections draw closer. So on Christmas Eve morning, when Dan talked with some others who were going to help us make this decision, they’d just talked to the guy in charge of Reach Global. At that point he realized that if we pushed ahead and said we were going to go anyway because God could still protect us, it would be foolishness, and he called each of our team members as we drove out to his parents for Christmas.

So, if you prayed for us, thank you. We’re so thankful that God used a variety of people who were earnestly seeking Him to help guide us in this decision. If you would, please pray for the people of Haiti – always. We are hoping to end up going this summer, with as much of this same team as possible. They are handling the disappointment well, and are determined to look for what the Lord wants to do in them and through them on the rest of their break, even though they are not where they thought they would be.

This entry was posted in Haiti. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Not yet

  1. Wow, that was definitely a tough decision to make. We prayed for you, and I’m glad God gave you clarity. Please keep us posted about a rescheduled trip!

  2. tiffanynevil says:

    Hey lady, I haven’t checked in for a while so I have some catching up to do apparently! I didn’t realize you guys were planning a trip to Haiti. It makes my heart glad to know that you guys cancelled it. I know it was a hard decision, but like you said, it would be foolish to ignore the warnings. Times like this we rest on the Omnipotence of God. So glad that He knows it all for all of us.

    je t’aime mwen amie!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s